Nau mai mai ki to tātou akoranga kia mānawatia ai a Mātariki! Here’s some more information about what our second learning unit in LEVEL ONE of our Te Puna Reo Māori programme includes. Every aspect of our learning supports te reo Māori, te ao Māori, tikanga Māori and mātauranga Māori in your school and learning community. We explore the following topics in our Matariki learning unit:
- the stars of te tau hou Māori (the Māori new year)
- the Matariki creation narrative
- te whānau mārama (the family of light)
- loads of different atua connected to the whetū of the Matariki cluster and our natural environment
- the origins and habitat of kai and aquatic creatures
- remembering loved ones and planning for the future
- the Gregorian and maramataka calendar systems
- elements of our weather
- expressing our emotions
- an oral weather report that brings together our Pepeha and Matariki learning
- and lastly, how to celebrate the new season heralded by the rising of Puanga and Matariki!
A list of the lesson sections covered in this comprehensive learning unit is below. The lesson for students each week contains 3 – 4 sections, anywhere between 5 and 10 learning videos that include plenty of speaking activities, a number of waiata and book videos to support your ākonga learning plus additional activities such as art, research questions, literacy and numeracy activities and much more. Our Daily Tikanga is gradually increased throughout each term as well. Previous learning content is extended and revised each week as we scaffold our learners through the vast array of learning outcomes and achievements objectives required under Level 1 of Te Aho Arataki Marau mō te Ako i Te Reo Māori – Kura Auraki (Curriculum Guidelines for Teaching and Learning Te Reo Māori in English-medium Schools: Years 1-13).